Welcome Family & Friends
As your son or daughter begins to prepare for their academic future, you will find that you play a big role. Choosing a university often becomes a decision that the whole family plays a part in. There is a lot of information out there and pinpointing the best choice for your student can be time consuming and overwhelming but also very exciting and definitely worthwhile!
It is important for your son or daughter to choose a university that best suits him or her based on his or her interests, career aspirations, personality and desired student life. At Lakehead University, we want to help you help your son or daughter.
Over the next few months, a lot will be happening to get your son or daughter prepared for next year. Here's what will be happening over the months so do your best to keep your son or daughter on the right track:
- Watch out for a visit from one of our recruiters to your student's school and encourage your student to attend the presentation and ask questions (September-December).
- Take a look through our Viewbook - this is the best source about everything Lakehead!
- Ontario high school visits take place. Check out our School Visit Locator on the homepage to see when we will be at your child's school.
- Visit E-Info to compare and contrast all of Ontario's universities in one place
- Applications begin. Encourage your child to apply early. As soon as we receive applications, we begin to assess each student's eligibility.
- Visit us! A campus tour is the best way to find out if Lakehead University is the best place for your son or daughter.
- The deadline to apply to Lakehead University (for Ontario high school students) is January 16, 2013.
- Students receive 3 university program choices for one fee. Each additional choice has an extra fee.
- Plan a family vacation to Thunder Bay or Orillia to see what your child's future new town is like and visit the campus if you haven't done so already!
- Visit us during our March Break Open House! Tour the campus with a student guide, meet with a faculty member in your student's area of interest, talk with a Student Success Advisor, or a representative from Student Accessibility Services or Student Awards & Financial Aid. You'll also have the opportunity to sit in on a class, try out the cafeteria food and tour around the city. Watch for registration on mylakehead.ca.
- Although Lakehead offers generous entrance scholarships (that don't require an application), now's the time to investigate the many scholarships that do require an application. Visit our Money Matters page for all the information you'll need.
- Watch the mail for Offer of Admission. Have your son or daughter get familiar with his/her Lakehead email account and the myInfo portal where applicants can check the status of their application at any time. Log-in information about email and myInfo is sent out to students in the Acknowledgement Letter, which they receive after applying.
- Some scholarship deadlines are in April, so keep informed about all the options to help finance your child's Lakehead education.
- For students applying to Music or Visual Arts, watch for the deadline for auditions and portfolio submissions. Be sure to inform yourself of all the details.
- The deadline for Ontario high school students to accept their Offer of Admission is June 3, 2013. See the Offer of Admission package for instructions on how to do this.
- Depending on the program, Lakehead will continue to accept applications and extend Offers past this deadline.
- Students may choose to take additional credits or upgrade at summer school or an adult education centre. Lakehead University will consider these grades when extending Offers of Admission. Ensure that our Admissions Office knows of your student's plans to upgrade and have all final transcripts are submitted to us by the August deadline.
Lakehead University, 955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, P7B 5E1
Phone: (807) 343-8110 | Fax: (807) 766-7209
Lakehead University, 500 University Avenue Orillia, Ontario, Canada, L3V 0B9
Phone: (705) 330-4008 | Fax: (705) 329-4648